Severe behavioral issues in teens can cause a number of disruptions in emotional development and ability to create and maintain healthy relationships. If your teen is struggling and not responding to your efforts to help, you may need to consider a full time solution like a therapeutic boarding school. While it feels like an extreme measure, an intensive, supportive program might be what your son needs in order to gain the skills necessary to turn his life around.
What Is a Therapeutic Boarding School?
Therapeutic boarding schools are facilities created to care for troubled teens with behavioral issues that their parents can no longer control at home. One of the benefits of such programs is that teens are removed from the triggers, temptations and negative social groups that impede positive progress. Through a combination of academics, therapy, recreational activities and life skills experiences, boys are immersed in an environment designed to help them identify and target the root of their issues while gaining positive skills and healthy self-esteem. Each teen receives an in-depth assessment upon arrival in order for the therapist to develop a plan of care that caters to his unique combination of challenges. He will set goals and be guided toward reaching them through methods that are designed to help him in the long term.
How Will A Boarding School Help My Teen?
Because a full time therapeutic program is a major financial and emotional investment, most parents want to be as sure as possible that the promises are worth the cost. Although each teen is different and no program can guarantee results, many have an established reputation for helping troubled teen boys. Although the specific curriculum will be different depending on the program, an effective one will offer a combination of the following as potential goals for your son.
- Communication Skills – Group therapy and team activities both help students practice positive interaction among peers and authority figures.
- Coping Skills – Unhealthy responses to daily challenges is what brings most teens to full time facilities. Experienced counselors and therapists help each boy determine what their core issues are as well as common triggers and guide them toward practicing more positive reactions and decision making.
- Self-Esteem – Poor behavior choices are often linked to a lack of self-confidence. Through a variety of experiential therapy modalities, like recreation, music, cooking or life skills opportunities, teens are able to develop and recognize their strengths and manage their weaknesses in a healthy and supportive environment.
- Academics – Educational progress is usually a high priority for parents when they are considering a placement option. Many facilities offer accredited academic programs with licensed instructors to help guide students at their own pace. Check the laws and regulations in your state to make sure that the work your son does can transfer.
- Balance – One of the main goals of full time facilities is to help troubled teens learn how to manage their lives with a healthy balance of work, play and positive decision making. An effective program should teach your son how to achieve this balance through example and experience.
Sundance Canyon Academy is a residential treatment center located in Utah. We offer a unique relationship based therapy model that is more effective than the behavior modification techniques found at most facilities. For questions or a consultation, please contact us today at 1-866-678-2425