Sundance Canyon Academy is a licensed, residential treatment program specializing in treating teen boys suffering from emotional and behavioral issues. Our unique program involves a therapeutic and educational approach that addresses common issues like Depression, Anxiety, Substance Abuse, Defiance, Social/Self-Esteem issues and Developmental difficulties.
Our program is different than many other schools because we do not use a behavioral modification approach to therapy. We employ a more holistic model designed to increase students’ recognition and resiliency by identifying and addressing the factors that lead to anxiety, anger and poor choices. Our main goal involves focusing on the root of the problem, rather than simply treating the symptoms. Through empathy, attunement and active listening, we create an environment that allows our relationship with each teen to be the agent of change. Additionally, we provide the tools and skills for a lifestyle of independence, self-respect and opportunity.
Our program offers 7 proven keys for success:
- Therapy –Specific therapeutic approaches including; communication, identity and commitment increase emotional aptitude.
- Education – Achieving academic goals allows teens to improve their confidence, which contributes to life-long success.
- Nutrition – Good nutrition is critical to self-management, health and well-being.
- Recreation – Group based activities and challenges provide opportunities for teamwork and acquiring new skills.
- Service – Providing service helps build and practice empathy.
- Life Skills – Through the development of practical skills, teens are able to further their independence and promote their own competence and maturity.
- Transition – This allows students to appreciate and plan for the steps they must take for continued success at home.
Our licensed professionals and qualified staff provide therapeutic intervention through Group, Individual and Family therapies. Along with the Why Try Model (www.whytry.org), a nationally lauded one-on-one counseling tool, our program utilizes a strength based approach to counseling, which includes:
- Reality Therapy
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Multiple Intelligence Theory
We provide a nationally accredited academic course as well as an experiential education program that can be used for certification or education credits. Our curriculum also provides social situations and environments that encourage new skills and responsibilities.
Our Fine Arts programs and recreational education expand the learning environment of each student by promoting creativity and healthy relationship building. Some of these include:
- Culinary Arts
- Outdoor Recreation
Aftercare is the last step of the program and is designed to help students maintain the positive changes they made at Sundance Canyon after they return home. By assisting with the transition back to school, friends and family, teens are able to master the final stages of functionality and health. Aftercare ensures that the structure and education at home is sufficient to support both students and parents. It is also the essential support families need in the months after discharge to avoid relapse as they navigate the “honeymoon phase” and the “testing phase.”
At Sundance Canyon, our goal is to help each student identify his strengths and develop meaningful purpose in his life. We know that adolescence can be a difficult time and we consistently strive to create an environment of hope and healing, operated by some of the most qualified professionals in the business. By partnering with dedicated staff and loving parents, we are confident that each young man is capable of making positive changes in his life to become a capable, caring and contributing individual.
For more information about our program or to speak with a staff member regarding the needs of your son, please contact us at 866-678-2425.