Finding the right program for troubled teens can be tough. There are many different options such as boot camps and wilderness experiential programs which offer quick results but can lack any substantial follow-through. For struggling teens to make real, permanent changes, attending a residential treatment center can make all the difference.
What Is A Teen Residential Treatment Center
A teen residential treatment center is an intensive therapeutic program which helps troubled teens put their lives back on track. Along with the regular therapy which is an integral part of any residential treatment center, these troubled teen programs also act as private schools, offering accredited academic programs as well as enriching extracurricular activities.
The staff at a residential treatment center will specialize in working with troubled teens who are recovering from a variety of behavioral and mental difficulties. For example, here at Sundance Canyon Academy, we have an experienced staff of medical, educational, therapeutic, and other professionals to meet the various needs of the students attending our residential treatment center.
Common Issues Treated At A Residential Treatment Center
As residential treatment centers act as full-service therapeutic and educational programs, these programs are better able to help teens who face a wide variety of struggles. Some of the more common issues treated at a troubled teen residential treatment center are:
- Anger management
- Suicidal ideation
- Eating disorders
- Poor academic performance
- Substance abuse
- Deviant behavior
- Other behavioral disorders
If your son or daughter is struggling with any of these issues and has been unable to overcome them, it may be time to contact a residential treatment program.
How Residential Treatment Centers Help Troubled Teens
Troubled teens attending a residential treatment center will receive an array of benefits. While there are some variations between residential treatment centers, the basics of any residential treatment center are:
- Individualized care plan – Each teen who attends a residential treatment center will have a personalized care plan developed for their needs. This plan will take into account the teen’s behavioral issues, nutrition needs, academic records, and anything else that will affect the teen’s recovery and progression.
- Intensive therapy – For troubled teens to make a permanent change, the inner source of their turmoil needs to be addressed with therapy. Along with 90 minutes of individual therapy a week, teens will also participate in daily group and experiential therapy as well as once-a-week family therapy sessions. There is also personal meditation time built into the daily schedule to allow teens to reflect on things they have learned that day.
- Academic recovery – Many troubled teens have struggled academically before they attend a residential treatment center. To help them recover from earlier academic issues, residential treatment centers offer students academic recovery with the help of licensed teachers and certified tutors. With their support, students at a residential treatment center can work to receive their high school diploma or matriculate with their peers.
- Balanced nutrition – Eating a healthy and nutritious diet is important for a growing teen. Some troubled teens come to residential treatment centers after bouts with eating disorders or refusing to eat nutritiously, so the balanced meal plans at a residential treatment center help to support teens in making the right dietary choices in the future.
- Structured activities – For teens who have developed bad habits and practices, it is not enough to remove the teens from the ability to indulge in these habits and practices. Residential treatment centers offer various extracurricular activities such as service projects, culinary arts, musical instruction, outdoors exploration, and more.
Why Choose A Residential Treatment Center For Troubled Teens In Utah
There are residential treatment centers and therapeutic boarding schools all around the United States and throughout the world. We would not advocate for any programs outside of the U.S. as the treatment of the teens can vary widely from program-to-program.
In the U.S., states can also vary on what is required when it comes to the treatment of troubled teens at residential treatment centers. Utah laws regarding residential treatment centers for troubled teens are among the most strict, ensuring the proper care of the teens in Utah-based residential treatment centers.
Troubled Teen Boys Excel At Sundance Canyon Academy
Sundance Canyon Academy is a residential treatment center with a focus on helping troubled teenage boys transform their lives and reconnect with their families. Our staff, from the program director to the direct care staff, are all committed to helping today’s youth through the many challenges which face them, which has made our program so successful at helping troubled teen boys permanently change for the better.
If you are wondering if our residential treatment center is a good fit for your son’s needs, contact us today. Our program counselors are happy to answer any of your questions and help you determine if what we offer will help your son make the right changes to put his life back on track.