Life as the parent of teenagers is no walk in the park but nothing prepares you for the upheaval brought about by raising troubled teens. These teenagers are plagued by a variety of emotional and behavioral issues ranging from depression and anxiety to substance abuse, oppositional defiance disorder and developmental difficulties, among others.
Left unchecked, such issues can permeate your work and social lives, leaving you feeling drained and exhausted. Overwhelmed parents often opt to send their struggling teens to boot camps and military schools mistakenly thinking that a regimen of strict discipline will straighten them out. However, this approach can sometimes make things worse. The better option is to send them to a residential treatment center or a therapeutic boarding school.
A Holistic Approach
At Sundance Canyon Academy, we pride ourselves on our holistic therapeutic and educational approach in addressing the various problems young men face today. We focus on finding the root causes of these behaviors then provide troubled teenage boys with the right skills, tools and practices to replace harmful habits with more positive ones.
We put emphasis on building great relationships between teens and their parents. Since no one knows your teen better than you, we consider you a key partner in transforming their lives for the better. That is why we encourage you to remain in constant contact with them throughout their stay in our therapeutic program.
Research shows that family involvement whilst teens are in treatment can make or break the healing process. With this in mind, we strive to involve you right from the start and we make it possible for you to stay in touch with your teen through:
- Video conferencing. We will help you set up secure online video conferencing so you can communicate with your child wherever you may be.
- Phone calls. Both teens and their parents are urged to talk over the phone to keep their connection strong. Sometimes therapists can organize phone sessions to help you rebuild your relationship with your son.
- Family weekends. We also organize family weekends where you can come, socialize and interact not only with your son, but also with families of other struggling teens.
- Family therapy. As part of the treatment program, we schedule weekly family therapy sessions so you can provide support as well as work on sensitive issues together as a family.
- Constant visits. Parent are encouraged to make regular on-campus visits to see how their teens are doing and to speak with therapists and other staff members.
Get In Touch
While you might feel guilty about sending your son away for treatment, it is sometimes the best way to help them. A little distance will also help you gain perspective, peace of mind and inner strength to deal with the situation and as you can see, you won’t be completely cut off from your teen.
For more information about our program, contact us at 866-678-2425.