Dealing with a severely troubled teen can be one of the most frustrating and stressful things a parent can deal with. Your son may be making decisions with the immaturity of a child, but much of the independence and physical resources of an adult. Defiance, sneaking out, substance abuse, depression and self-harm are only some of the things that parents may feel are increasingly out of their power to control. Since chaining your teen to your side every day isn’t an option, you may find yourself considering a full time treatment option to provide their son with the intensive help he needs to make positive life changes. If you are wondering whether or not you have reached this point with your teen, these five basic steps will help you through the process:
- Evaluate Your Son – While it can be hard to decide what constitutes normal adolescent conduct and what is considered a behavioral issue, it is helpful to note whether his actions cause consistent harm to himself or others. Anything that disrupts your son’s normal emotional and mental development should be looked into more closely.
- Outpatient Options – Not all troubled teens need to attend a residential treatment center in order to overcome their issues. Some boys actually respond well to outpatient options with the help of a qualified therapist. Such professionals can help both you and your son communicate more effectively and learn to identify the triggers and temptations that lead to poor decisions. Schools for troubled teens are for those boys and girls that have not responded to any efforts to help them in their home environment.
- Weigh The Pros And Cons – The right residential treatment program can be a life changing experience for your son, but it is also a major financial and emotional investment. It is important to carefully consider your options before you place your son. While you should ensure that you have exhausted your solutions at home, you should also consider your teen’s safety. Patience and behavior modification techniques might not be as important as removing him quickly from a situation that compromises his immediate health and safety.
- Research Your Options – There are a variety of full time therapeutic options throughout the country and all of them offer something a little different. Don’t be afraid to take the time to thoroughly research those that seem like the best fit, even if they aren’t particularly close to you. Because each state has different regulations governing their teen help programs, many parents find themselves looking a little further from home for a facility that combines both experience and safety. Utah is currently the most popular state among parents of troubled teens because its laws are so comprehensive.
- Make A Selection – You are the parent and you know your son best. He is more likely to have a good experience if you make a selection that fits his unique combination of needs, while giving you peace of mind. Deciding on a treatment program for your child is an important and intimidating prospect. You deserve to have confidence in your choice, no matter what it takes, and good programs will provide you with the information and assurance you need to make that happen.
Sundance Canyon Academy is a residential treatment center in northern Utah. We specialize in helping troubled teen boys overcome their behavioral issues through a unique and highly succcessful relationship based therapy program. Contact us today for questions or a consultation 1-866-678-2425