The adolescent years are a formative time of emotional development and growth; however, when teens begin to display severe behavioral issues; they are putting themselves at risk for impeding healthy progress and creating habits that could plague them for years. These issues are not the simple problems present in most teenagers as they rebel, push boundaries, and strive for independence. They are unusual (but tragically common) disturbances that may lead to severe consequences.
Although you probably would prefer to help your teen at home, removing him from his home environment is sometimes necessary in order for him to become receptive to intervention. Residential treatment centers are private, full time institutions that are specifically designed to help troubled teens identify their challenges and work toward a long term solution. Such facilities are adept at helping teens with issues like depression, defiance, anxiety, substance abuse and mental disorders.
What Symptoms Are Red Flags For Professional Assistance?
You may be wondering how bad is bad enough to seek the help of professionals. After all, considering a residential treatment facility may feel like an extreme solution. These facilities run programs meant to treat:
- Suicidal ideation
- Anger problems
- Substance abuse
- Poor academic performance
- Personality disorders
- Antisocial and oppositional defiant disorders
- Sexual acting out
- Other chronic detrimental behaviors
If your teen have been suffering from one or more of these conditions or behaviors, and past treatment and intervention have been unsuccessful, it may be time to consider a residential program meant to house your teen full or part time.
How Do I Select The Right Facility For My Troubled Son?
Studies on a number of residential treatment centers have shown that these programs have a positive impact on rehabilitation. Teens need a stable and consistent environment in which to learn coping mechanisms and fight dangerous or damaging behaviors. These facilities provide that stability, along with professionals who are uniquely qualified to manage their challenges.
Although a residential treatment center might be the best solution for your teen, it is also a fairly significant financial and emotional investment. Many parents worry about choosing the right option with the vast array of facilities and treatment styles available. As you decide which program is going to be the best fit for your son’s needs, there are some factors to consider:
- Location – Each state has its own laws and regulations that govern their teen help programs. This is a good aspect to consider to ensure that the one you are considering has the high standards you want. Don’t be afraid to send your teen further from home than you had planned, if it means that he will be in a safer and more experienced program. Utah is currently the most popular destination among concerned parents because their laws are the most comprehensive in the United States. Parents don’t have to worry about their children being allowed to sign themselves out of treatment, for example.
- Individual Attention – Although many troubled teens share similar challenges, their learning style and personal motivation is unique. Make sure you look at programs that treat your son like the individual he is and will offer personal coaching and a plan of care that caters to his needs and goals. In some instances you may be able to find a program that provides academic tutoring to help your child improve their grades during treatment. This will assist in their reintegration after the program is complete.
- Therapy Program – While most programs offer some combination of individual, group and family talk therapy, some go a little further and provide experiential options as well. Experiences like music, culinary or recreation therapy raise the chances that your son will find a healing style that resonates with him. In addition, hands-on opportunities provide each student with the chance to practice teamwork and healthy interaction with other youth and adults.
- Parental Involvement – You know your son better than anyone and as such, you should be highly involved in his plan of care. While most programs require some amount of distance, especially in the initial stages, in order to allow teens to adjust to their new surroundings, a good program will include you as much as possible. The most effective facilities will also provide aftercare support for both you and your son to ensure that he is able to adjust to regular life and put his new skills into practice.
- Insurance – Not all insurance plans will cover therapeutic boarding schools. However, many will cover residential treatment centers, especially when used for a diagnosed condition. When looking into a program it is important to see what your insurance may assist you in paying, and how you will be able to pay for the rest out of pocket.
Testimonial Of A Parent
“Absolutely, Hands-down, the best advice and direction to help us as parents with our son! Thank you, thank you for all your help.” – Parent Of Alumni, From AZ
A Residential Treatment Center Is The Best Destination For Troubled Teen Boys
These are not standard therapy programs Residential treatment facilities are unique in that they offer a program designed to help teens identify and fix the foundation of their issues, rather than simply managing the symptoms as so many behavior modification plans do. Your child will not merely be learning to behave, but healing themselves from the inside out.
Ultimately, there are many styles to choose from. Some will be more traditional settings, such as inpatient hospitals. Others may be full time boarding schools that offer dormitories and classes, as well as tutors. There are even extra curricular based treatment facilities that provide therapy with a twist, like equestrian or boating programs.
Your goal is to examine your means, needs, and what is on offer to find the best possible solution for your family. Your teenager is an individual, with their own needs and struggles. Professionals who have worked with troubled teens understand the need for individually customized treatment plans, and careful handling. Especially in cases involving trauma, where special handling will be necessary.
If you are at your wits end with your troubled teen, there is a way out. Residential treatment centers offer a solution that you can trust.
If you have any questions please contact us or review our FAQ Page
Other Related Resources You Will Find Useful
- How to Select the Best Residential Treatment Center for Troubled Teen Boys
- How Can A Residential Treatment Center For Teens Help My Drug-Abusing Son?
- Behavioral Disorders Can Be Taken Care Of At Residential Treatment Centers For Teens
- Parenting Tips: Dealing With Troubled Teen Boys
- Parenting Troubled Teen Boys