Sundance Canyon Academy – Academics
Sundance Canyon Academy maintains that education is foremost in the interest of many of our students. It is our mission to assist them in the continuation of their education while away from the home. We provide an accredited and useful curriculum which enables our students to continue on their education path towards successful graduation.
The classes at Sundance Canyon are designed for students whose plans may include college entrance. However, students with learning disabilities or who need a specific learning style addressed can be accommodated in our small and individualized classes. Students who need additional help outside of the classroom can meet with their teachers on an individual basis or may be assisted by our teacher’s aide who is trained to help with homework management, test preparation, organization, and work-load prioritization.
Academic counseling is part of the school process at Sundance Canyon. This is accomplished by:
- Assisting students who are experiencing academic difficulty
- Working with the treatment team on personal problems that may impact academic performance
- Assisting students with the college search/application/admission process
- Making available information on scholarship, financial aid and volunteer opportunities
- Helping choose appropriate courses in light of high school graduation requirements as well as college admissions criteria
- Exploring career options
- Discussing post-secondary plans; college, work, life skills
- Providing communication to the students and parents on school progress and performance, 4-year academic plans, and the college admission process
Students participate educationally on a daily basis (Monday through Friday). Classes include but are not limited to: Courses offered by Sundance Canyon Academy using the Alta Independent Curriculum.
- Teacher/Staff will assist students in all areas of education when requested.
- Student daily and weekly progress reviews are available at www.altaindependent.com
- Work completed is logged into the student file and grades given in accordance to quantity, quality, and timeliness of work completed.
Classes provided for the students include, but are not limited to the following:
|Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Geometry, Science, Chemistry, Physics||American/World History, Biology, English, Writing Composition, Reading Comprehension, Physical Education, Health Science|
Sundance Canyon offers…
- Certified teachers and instructors
- 1:8 teacher – student ratio (plus individual tutors)
- Individually Administered Educational/Vocational Assessments including: School/Education Survey, Woodcock-Johnson R Test of Cognitive Ability and Test of Achievement and Career Interest and ability survey
- Progress reports · Direct group instruction and Independent Study
- Year around school with English, Science, Math, Social Studies, and Vocational education, Enrichment classes in art, music, sports, and service projects.
- SEOP (Student Educational Occupational Program)
- Commitment to learning
- 100% credit transfer for college preparatory courses
Schools, Colleges and Universities that have accepted a few of our Sundance Canyon students…