Sundance Canyon Academy maintains that Education is foremost in the interest of the student. It is our mission to assist the student is the continuation of their education while away from the home by providing an accredited and useful curriculum which will enable the student to continue on their path of education towards a successful graduation.
The classes at Sundance Canyon are designed for the students whose plans include college matriculation. However, students with learning disabilities or who need a specific learning style addressed can be accommodated in our small and individualized classes. Students who do need additional help outside of the classroom can meet with their teachers on an individual basis or may be assisted by our teacher’s aide who is trained to help with homework management, test preparation, organization, and work-load prioritization.
Academic counseling is part of the school process at Sundance Canyon. This is accomplished by:
- Assisting students who are experiencing academic difficulty
- Working with the treatment team on personal problems that may impact academic performance
- Assisting students with the college search/application/admission process
- Making available information on scholarship, financial aid and volunteer opportunities
- Helping choose appropriate courses in light of high school graduation requirements as well as college admissions criteria
- Exploring career options
- Discussing post-secondary plans; college, work, life skills
- Providing communication to the students and parents on school progress and performance, 4-year academic plans, and the college admission process
Students participate in their educational process atSundanceCanyonAcademy on a daily basis (Monday through Friday). Classes include but are not limited to: Courses offered bySundanceCanyonAcademy using the Park City Independent Curriculum.
- Teacher/Staff will assist students in all areas of education when requested.
- Students work will be monitored by staff personnel via the medium of the Progress Report which is conducted weekly by staff.
- Student daily and weekly progress reviews are available at www.parkcityindependent.com
- Work completed is logged into the student file and grades given in accordance to quantity, quality, and timeliness of work completed.
Classes provided for the students include, but are not limited to the following:
World History American History
Writing Composition Reading Comprehension
Physical Education Health Science
Sundance Canyon offers…
- Certified teachers and instructors
- 1:8 teacher – student ratio (plus individual tutors)
- Individually Administered Educational/Vocational Assessments including: School/Education Survey, Woodcock-Johnson R Test of Cognitive Ability and Test of Achievement and Career Interest and ability survey
- Progress reports · Direct group instruction and Independent Study
- Year around school with English, Science, Math, Social Studies, and Vocational education, Enrichment classes in art, music, crafts, sports, and service projects.
- SEOP (Student Educational Occupational Program)
- Commitment to learning
- 100% credit transfer for college preparatory courses
Colleges and Universities that have accepted Sundance Canyon students include:
- American University
- Arizona State University
- University of California-Berkeley
- University of West Virginia
- Loyola University
- University of Utah
- University of Pugent Sound
- University of South Carolina
- University of Nevada Las Vegas
- Culinary Institute-Florida
- Pomona College
- Fullerton and Cerritos Junior Colleges
- Art Institute-Atlanta
- Eastern Michigan University
- United States Army and Navy